Speech and language
Toddlers’ language skills develop at an incredible rate. Most will go from babbling at 18 months to speaking in full sentences by the time they are 3 years old. You can play a part in helping your toddler get new language skills.
• Read stories together and sing nursery rhymes.
• Talk to your child about the things you see.
• Build on what your toddler says. For example, if they say “kitty!” you can say “yes, that’s a big cat.”
• Describe what you are doing and seeing with your child.
• Show an interest in what your toddler says.
Learn more about toddler language skills and what kinds of activities to do with your child at:
It’s good for children to grow up learning more than one language, so if you speak another language, share it with your baby. Read more about learning more than one language in English, Chinese, Farsi, French, Korean, Punjabi, Spanish and Vietnamese.