Children who get enough sleep are happier and have less challenging behaviour. However, sometimes getting a good night’s sleep is difficult. There may be temporary problems like illness or changes to routine, so that getting your toddler to sleep may be a struggle.
Helping Your Toddler Sleep
It’s important that your toddler gets enough sleep. Try these sleep tips:
• Toddlers need lots of physical activity and time outside. You can take them to a toddler program or free play at your local community centre.
• Set a routine. Have regular meal times, activities and nap times. Create a calming bedtime routine.
• Make sure the bedroom isn’t too hot or too cold, and that it’s quiet and dark. Quiet soothing music, white noise or a nightlight may help.
• You child may settle better with a comfort object like a favourite stuffed animal or soft blanket.
• If your toddler is trying to climb out of the crib, it’s time to get a toddler bed.
Once your toddler goes to sleep, he or she may still wake up at night. Follow these tips to help them learn to sleep through the night.