Adjusting to Siblings
If you are expecting another child, make sure that you prepare your preschooler. A new baby is going to be a big change!
If you have a baby or young toddler, your preschooler may be feeling left out. Make sure that the two of you spend special time together. Let your preschooler know that they are still very special and an important part of the family.
Dealing with Sibling Conflicts
Even siblings that love each other very much will get into conflicts. Your preschooler may grab toys away or get very angry with the baby. It’s important to step in and stop fights before anyone gets hurt and deal with the issue in a constructive way.
• Separate the kids before anyone gets hurt or crying starts.
• Treat each child appropriate to their age. A 2-year-old and a 5-year-old will likely need different consequences.
• Use consequences that are short and immediate. For example: half an hour without a favourite toy.
• Stay calm. Don’t try to deal with the situation until your own emotions are under control.
• Use these tips to handle sibling conflicts.