As soon as you spot your baby’s first tooth, it’s time to start brushing!
Caring for Your Infant’s Teeth
- Brush the tooth/teeth twice times per day.
- Use a small, soft toothbrush.
- Use a rice grain size amount of fluoride toothpaste.
- Give all drinks from a cup (not a bottle); only give water to drink between meals.
- Avoid sugar as much as possible and limit eating to set snack or meal times. Limit the amount of sugar you give in food in drink, especially sticky sweets.
As your baby gets older and gets more teeth, make sure you have a good view of all the teeth as you’re brushing and that you are reaching all sides on each tooth. Try the knee-to-knee technique shown in this video to make brushing easier.
Note: Open this page in a Chrome or Firefox browser to view the video.This video will not play if you are using Internet Explorer.