Causes of Nipple Pain
Nipple pain is a common problem, especially during the first week of breastfeeding. Nipple pain usually means that there is a problem with the latch, but it can also be due to things like infection, thrush, Raynaud’s Disease (poor circulation to the nipple) or problems with the baby’s suck.
The best way to prevent nipple pain is to make sure you have a good latch.
Easing Nipple Pain
Below are some other ideas to help you with nipple pain.
• Feed your baby at the first signs of hunger.
• If you use them, change breast pads often.
• Express a little milk to soften your breast before feedings.
• Use lanolin cream on your nipples after every feeding.
• Hand express or pump your breast milk to give your nipples a break.
Learn more about how to help nipple pain: